05 September 2009

INSOMNIA.......Ain't it just grand!!

Anybody who knows me, knows that I have this terrible little issue with sleeping. Meaning that I never get very much. Sometimes, I think that if it were not for my wonderful hubby, that I wouldn't survive.

Anyways, on to my point today......

I have doing some research on insomnia lately and have found out that not getting enough sleep leads to a persons inablility to loss weight and can also promote weight gain!!!! How insane is that. I am already way overweight, have been my whole life (yet another issue for another day), so how is it now fair that because my body doesn't want to shut off at the end of the night for proper rejuvination that I should have to suffer further consequences other than the huge bags under my eyes and the feeling of grogginess all day long.

It's not like I sit at the computer all night eating bon bons or something. I don't stuff my face with cake. I don't eat a whole carton of ice cream. In fact, because I do already have weight issues, I don't keep that stuff in the house , except for the rare occasions. But even then, that stuff is normally some kind of treat for the family and I avoid it for the most part. Most of the time, when I can't sleep the only thing that sits with me at the computer is a 1.5 litter bottle of water that I will drink before going to bed. WATER, I repeat. How can that be bad for me.

I do know the importance of sleep and all that and have tried several different things to help or aid me to sleep. NOTHING seems to help. I wrote a "night time" journal for a long time because it was suggested that if I could just get all my thoughts out before I laid down I would be able to sleep. Hence, meaning that I was simply stressing myself out, especially being that this was when Stephen was deployed and I should try to avoid it. Writing the journal only seemed to make things worse. Once I thought that I had written down everything, I would go to sleep for maybe an hour and then I would wake thinking that I had to write more. The writing would then keep me up.

I have tried sleeping pills and will still on occasion, meaning I am desperate for some much needed sleep, take them. But taking pills for me is so strange. They are designed to take effect in 1/2 an hour after taking them and are supposed to help you sleep for 8 to 9 straight hours. When I take a pill, it takes about 2-3 hours to take effect and then it knocks me out for about 14 hours. If I have to wake up before that, then I am doomed for the day. I will be sleepy all day long and will possibly take a nap without even realizing it.

So as you can plainly see, I already suffer enough from not being able to sleep. Why now does my weight have to become an issue of insomnia too, that just makes it one more thing for to worry about!!!

No comments: